Varsity LakesGold Coast Suburb Profile
Developed by the Delfin Land Lease, Varsity Lakes is a structured, well organised community of the Gold Coast. The housing estates are built surrounding the 80ha Lake Orr with the majority of the dwellings relatively new. Waterfront homes have become very popular for families with a quarter of the suburb’s population under the age of 15.
There is a free-to-join community website for Varsity Lakes residents that provides a business directory and community news. Conveniently situated close to Miami Beach and the Pacific Motorway it is only a short drive to most facilities and attractions of the Gold Coast for those fortunate enough to live here.
Varsity Lakes Schools & Education
- Varsity College
- Varsity College
Private Schools & Tertiary
- Bond University
- Hope College (special school)
Sporting Facilities in Varsity Lakes
Bond University Institute For Sport
The extensive centre has facilities for beach volleyball, boxing, rugby, soccer, spin classes, golf and cricket practice nets, squash, tennis and a weights room open to the general public as well as students.
Phone: 07 5595 4100
Address: University Dr, Varsity Lakes
Varsity Lakes Shopping Districts
- Market Square
- Varsity Central
- The Piazza
- Robina Town Centre is a short drive from the suburb
- Varsity Lakes Family Practice
- Varsity Medical Centre
- Varsity Lakes St Vincent’s Hospital
- Christine Avenue Medical Centre
History of Varsity Lakes
Varsity Lakes was originally a wetland known as Stephens Swamp, named for former Brisbane mayor and owner of the area Thomas Stephens in the 1860s. He improved the area with drains, discharging the water into nearby Tallebudgera Creek. It was not until the 1980s that Stephens began to be suburbanised with the formation of Silverbank Lake.
By the 1990s residential development had spread across half of Stephens. The suburb was renamed Varsity Lakes in 2003 to present the area with more of an upmarket image and disassociate itself with the lower socio-economic reputation attached to the name Stephens.
Varsity Lakes Retirement
The Terraces Varsity Lakes
- Provides both high and low care allowing residents to remain as their needs change.
- Residents have access to open spaces, the lake, shopping centres and 24 hour access to caring and qualified staff.
- Phone: 07 5580 9500, 74 University Dr, Varsity Lakes
Opal Varsity Rise
- Offers a range of spacious, residential care facilities with beautiful landscaped outdoor living areas.
- The centre encourages resident’s connections with their children and companion animals.
- Phone: 07 5554 8100, 14 Lake St, Varsity Lakes
Images courtesy Tourism & Events Queensland, Tourism Australia, Destination Gold Coast, Getty Images, Flickr user Holiday Point