Tweed HeadsGold Coast Suburb Profile
The most northerly town of NSW, Tweed Heads sits next to the Queensland border exposed to miles of golden beaches while sitting in the heart of the Green Cauldron - a rim of mountain ranges and lush rainforest snaked by the northern rivers.
This diverse setting makes for a perfect holiday destination and a lovely relaxed location for retirees wanting to settle down while still having the appeal of proximity to major centres like the Gold Coast and Brisbane.
Neighbouring its ‘twin town’ of Coolangatta just over the border, Tweed is on the edge of a time zone while Day Light Savings is happening (October through to March) with many locals taking advantage to enjoy two New Year’s celebrations by hopping the border after midnight each year.
With Tweed Heads accommodation ranging from luxury resorts to homely B&Bs, beautiful housing and a long list of award winning retirement villages, ample medical facilities, your choice of private and public schools, a range of sporting centres and shopping districts, Tweed really does have something for everyone.
Tweed Heads Schools & Education
- Tweed Heads Public School
- Tweed Heads South Public School
- Banora Point Primary School
- Centaur Primary School
- Bilambil Public School
- Carool Public School
- Terranora Public School
- Fingal Head Public School
- Tweed River High School
- Banora Point High School
- St Joseph’s Primary
- Lindisfarne Anglican Grammar School
- Pacific Coast Christian School
- Mt St Patrick College
- Pacific Coast Christian School
- St James Primary
- St Joseph's College
- St Anthony's Catholic Primary School
- Tweed Valley College
Sporting Facilities in Tweed Heads
Tweed Heads Bowls Club
The club features both outdoor and fully air-conditioned indoor bowling greens.
Address: Corner Wharf & Florence St, Tweed Heads
Phone: 07 5536 3800
Tweed Indoor Sports Centre
Offering a range of indoor sports including beach volleyball, cricket, netball, soccer and touch footy.
Address: 14-18 Chinderah Bay Dr, Chinderah
Phone: 02 6674 4733
South Tweed Sports
Offers three outdoor bowls greens and a range of bars and dining.
Address: 4 Minjungbal Dr, South Tweed
Phone: 07 5524 3655
The Salvation Army Tweed Centre
The indoor sports centre has modern, clean facilities for basketball, indoor bowls, life ball, Pilates, exercise classes and gymnastics.
Address: Corner Woodlands Dr & Leisure Dr, Banora Point
Phone: 07 5524 5081
Casuarina Rec Club
Contains a full gym, heated pool, tennis courts and a range of programs for children and adults.
Address: Mainwaring Precinct, Barclay Dr, Casuarina
Phone: 02 6674 9966
Coolangatta & Tweed Heads Golf Club
Two championship 18 hole golf courses open to members and visitors.
Address: Soorley St, Tweed Heads South
Phone: 07 5524 4544
Tweed Heads Shopping Districts
- Tweed City Shopping Centre
- Centro Tweed
- Banora Point Shopping Centre
- Showcase on the Beach
- Healthwise Medical Centre
- The Tweed Hospital (public)
- Options Clinic Tweed Heads
- Coastal Skin Cancer Clinic
- Tweed Heads District Hospital
- Tweed City Family Practice
- Harbourside Medical Centre
- Riverside Professional Centre
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- Queensland Medical Laboratory
- South Coast Radiology
- Tweed Banora Total Health
- Riverside General Practice
- Sullivan Nicolaides
- Tweed Day Surgery
- Tweed Heads Fertility Control Centre
- Kennedy Drive Medical Centre
- Tweed Skin Cancer Clinic
- West Tweed Medical Centre
Discovered and named by John Oxley in 1823 after the river on the English/Scottish border, the Tweed River has seen some traffic over the years.
A military outpost was set up in the area but quickly abandoned due to hostilities with the local aborigines. In 1844 the cedar getters made camp as they searched for timber to build Sydney homes and boat builders followed making schooners, river boats, fishing and row boats for settlers to get around the Tweed before the development of roads, bridges and farriers in the 1930s.
Time has seen the Tweed area go through sugar cane, dairy, and banana farming and even fishing to become a major exporter of produce. Since the 1940s though, the area has become very popular for tourism with a large influx of retirees from southern Australia to make it one of the country’s fastest growing coastal areas.
Tweed Heads Retirement
St Cuthberts Retirement Living Complexes
- Hosts a number of recreational activities and events for residents.
- Committed to providing safe, carefree lifestyles for the ‘active’ aged.
- Phone: 07 5536 5463, 20 Banks Ave, Tweed Heads
The Palms Village
- Buy or rent your choice of stylishly furnished relocatable homes in a resort style atmosphere.
- Secure gated complex that’s pet friendly with a range of recreational facilities available.
- Phone: 07 5524 2682, 112-122 Drydock Rd, Tweed Heads South
Southern Cross St Joseph’s Apartments
- Your choice of independent villas or supported living apartments, all with 24 hour emergency call systems.
- Every resident considered individually with arrangements made to reflect their personal situation.
- Phone: 02 9632 3144, 1 - 9 Blundell Blvd., Tweed Heads South
- Private or Government funded aged care accommodation.
- Panorama views of either ocean or hinterlands.
- Phone: 07 5599 9803, 27 Stott St, Tweed Heads West
Cobaki Broadwater Village
- Fully serviced home-sites with community heated pool, barbecues and recreational facilities for over 50s village living.
- Own your own home with all the benefits of a retirement community.
- Phone: 1800 251 180, 192 Piggabeen Rd, Tweed Heads
Fairways Supported Living Community
- Allows residents to live as independently as they can while having the peace of mind of on-site medical care.
- 70 residences in total with 24/7 personal care and support, 24/7 emergency call system, full domestic service, on-site restaurant, registered nurse on duty, and allowing small pets.
- Phone: 1300 307 014, 1-3 Soorley St, Tweed Heads South
Images courtesy Tourism & Events Queensland, Tourism Australia, Destination Gold Coast & Getty Images