Kilometres 4 Koalas - Gold Coast Beach Walk
Join us on 26 May 2013 for a walk along the Gold Coast coastline and help give our endangered koalas a home! The walk stretches from Coolangatta to Southport, with participants able to choose the distance they want to walk. Walk the entire course, half or just one section – it is entirely up to you!
The Walk is along the beaches and foreshore and is divided into 7 Legs:
- Leg 1 – 7.30am at Captain Cooks Memorial at Coolangatta for a distance of 3.6kms to the beach off North Kirra SLSC
- Leg 2 – 8.30am at the beach off North Kirra SLSC for a distance of 5.4kms to the beach off Currumbin SLSC
- Leg 3 – 10.00am at the beach off Currumbin SLSC for a distance of 6.7kms to the beach off Burleigh Heads SLSC
- Leg 4 – 11.50am at the beach off Burleigh Heads SLSC for a distance of 6.8kms to the beach off Kurrawa SLSC
- Leg 5 – 1.40pm at the beach off Kurrawa SLSC for a distance of 3.4kms to the beach off Cavil Avenue at Surfers Paradise.
- Leg 6 – 2.40pm at the beach off Cavil Avenue at Surfers Paradise for a distance of 3.1kms to the beach off Southport SLSC.
- Leg 7 – 3.30pm at the beach off Southport SLSC for a distance of 7kms to the South Arm of the Breakwater at The Spit, Main Beach.
How to Register:
Registration is $10 with all proceeds going to World Wildlife Sanctuaries (not for profit)
A registration table and signage will be located on the beach at each of the above starting points. They will be placed there at least half an hour before and removed half an hour after the starting time shown for that Section.
Please arrive at least 20 mins before the designated starting time to allow enough time for registration.
You can walk as an individual or as part of a team! Businesses are also encouraged to enter teams and walk as a group, relay team or pair.
The $10 registration fee gives you:
- A $5 raffle ticket that give the chance to WIN a trip for 2 to Lek’s Elephant Park in Thailand. Food and accommodation for 7 days, return economy airfares from Brisbane to Chang Mai and $500 spending money
- A koala food tree planted in your name or the name of your business.
- A walk sticker for your T-Shirt.
Please assist our fundraising by asking others to sponsor your Walk. They may sponsor you for any amount per kilometer or for a fixed amount for walking.
Post Walk Party!
Come along to our Post Walk Party at Swingin’ Safari (Cnr of Thornton Street and Surfers Paradise Blvd, Surfers Paradise).
Access is via Thornton Street (off Garfield Drive) as Surfers Paradise Blvd is temporarily closed for work on the new rail link.
There will be a BBQ and drinks at reasonable prices from 6.30pm. It will be a fun night for all and we’d love to see you there! So we have an idea of numbers, please call 07 5538 3762 to book in.
The World Wildlife Sanctuaries (WWS) is a not-for-profit association with the aim to raise funds to establish habitats for endangered koalas and other wildlife.
The Gold Coast Beach Walk is organised by WWS and is a part of a national campaign with walks across Australia’s capital cities, towns and the roads linking them from Cape York to Wilson’s Promontory (a distance of over 5,000km).
Australia wide, we have lost around 99.25% of our koala population, with less than 60,000 in the wild today. Right here in South East Queensland, koalas are being wiped out at the rate of 40% every 7 years and in 20 years, we may not have a viable population in SEQ.
WWS was established to prevent this by providing sanctuaries for koalas and other endangered species in order to provide a safe habitat without the risk of development, road accidents or attacks from wild animals.
25% of koalas are also at risk of a disease that impedes reproduction. These sanctuaries will provide treatment for the infected and separate them from healthy koalas to prevent further spreading of the disease, as well as promote breeding in healthy koalas to attempt to replenish the diminishing population.