Celebrate Gold Coast
Come on down to Broadwater Parklands on Mother's Day, Sunday 12 May from 12pm to 5pm to celebrate our city's birthday at the inaugural Celebrate Gold Coast.
Celebrate Gold Coast marks the date the State Government approved the name of the local authority as City of Gold Coast on 16 May 1959. However, the Queensland Place Names Board did not officially gazette this place name until April 1980. Before this, on 23 October 1958, the South Coast Town Council had adopted the name Gold Coast Town Council.
This free family-friendly community event celebrates everything that is quintessentially Gold Coast, including our heritage, culture, lifestyle, flavours, future and fun!
Featuring two stages of entertainment, each hub is activated through a variety of workshops, forums, exhibitions, displays, activities and performances.
The hubs include:
- our Culture - experience our cultural roots through music, art, fashion, entertainment, film, photography, performers, pop up festivals and events, and pop up bars
- our Lifestyle - enjoy a slice of the outdoor lifestyle through a vast array of outdoor activities
- our Heritage - wander down memory lane and through heritage exhibitions and forums by local curators
- our Flavours - enjoy the diverse local cuisine and our quintessential flavours
- our Fun - be entertained by our tourist attractions through a variety of displays, workshops, activities and performances
- our Future - experience our top educational institutions, key city projects and our new city brand through various displays, forums and performances.
And here's a sneak peak of what's on offer:
- talented local musicians such as The Lamplights, Bree De Rome and The Keeps, Bobby Alu, Josh Lovegrove, City Over Sand and Dan Hannaford
- bustling mini versions of The Arts Centre Gold Coast, Bleach Festival, Surfers Paradise Alliance, Blues on Broadbeach, Cooly Rocks On, The Village Markets, Rabbit + Cocoon and more
- special presentation by the Gold Coast Branch of Make-A-Wish® Australia to grant a cherished wish to a Gold Coast child who is suffering with a life-threatening medical condition
- kids' activities such as Gold Coast Suns inflatable field and player appearances, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, BMX displays, Skateboarding Australia workshops, Surf Life Saving Queensland activities and Aquaduck tours
- exhibitions by Surfworld, Gold Coast Sporting Hall of Fame, Gold Coast and Hinterland Historical Museum and much more!
So bring your family, friends and of course mum and join in this celebration of our great city!
Free parking is available at Australia Fair. We encourage the use of public transport to the event.
12 May 2013
Time: 12pm to 5pm